Monday, September 14, 2009

A Day With My Dad.

So I feel particularly impelled to blog about a specific tree. Of which I have nostalgic ties (ok not in real life but just for the sake of the blog).

As it turns out this morning, I was helping my mom and dad weed their yard. As my dad and I were weeding a small kidney bean shaped peice of the lawn where, may I add, two Aspen trees reside we kept finding walnuts. My dad kept exclaiming how he did not know these Aspens produced walnuts. And in return comment, I said that we should call The National Geographic immediately.

However one of the aspens is sadly dying, slowly fading away. I asked my dad if perhaps the japanese beetle had gotten to this tree and infested it with illness. He proceeded to tell me that besides developing an identity crisis it had a congenital disease, that it was surely missing chromosomes, and had been sick since conception.

Now we will not, in this blog go into the conception of a tree, but I am sure you can all imagine.

By the end of the weeding interlude the tree was more dead than ever due to my inadvertant digging up of it's roots. And my dad consistently chopping at them with a shovel.

So, we would like to share a moment of silence for the tree, who gave it's life to provide us with ten summers of (minimal) shade, and stoically bore us walnuts.

No comments: