Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Ranch Hands for WEEKS, and Kings for One Day.


In Smitty's Garage, July 4, 2008

The Unanimous work of at least thirteen people from the United States of America
Exercised their freedoms to build an extraordinary, trophy winning float. yada yada yada....................................
And for the support of this float, we mutually pledged to each other our Time, our Fortunes, and Mutual Babysitting.

For all of you who don't know the inside of my mom's heart, she is an artist. No she does not drink her turpentine or eat her cadmium yellow but still it is inside her. The point? Yes! She took it upon herself to create a float. An actual glittering, festoon infested, elbow-elbow wrist-wrist-wrist waving, Celebration of America float.


And now forever gone are the days when I could sit nostalgically watching the parade go by, relishing the feelings of patriotism and my heart wrenching love of America. Never again will I smile at the girls waving, hoping for the slightest breeze or at least someone throwing salt water taffy.


No now instead what will wander through my mind will be only this... Wow! I wonder if that is 22 yards of Festooning? Is that really four layers of fringe? They really should have chicken-wired, that appendage is caving in. Glitter everywhere should have double nail gunned! And last but not least "How many many man-hours did it take to build that float?"


Ok, but truly it was an amazing experience watching something originally from my moms brain, color penciled onto paper, a dirty old trailer which my dad and Brady had to completely rebuild, a whole lot of supplies, and a lot of people willing to put in A LOT of hours, transform into something so awesome as this. I can honestly say that if possible I felt even more emotion and love for my country because of this experience. And I even signed the enormous Declaration of Independence.



Oh yeah, we sure did win the Freedom Prize.

6 comments:

KA said...

Joseph Smith Jr would be so everloving proud. You know he would.

Laraine said...

Welcome back, Kelli! I am so excited to see something new. And especially something as WONDERFUL as this! You and Grandma Suzy did yourselves proud! The float is beautiful!!! And well deserving of the PRIZE!!! Congratulations!!

Traci said...

I can't believe you guys built that! You and your mom are amazingly talented.

Unknown said...

I love it! I can only imagine how long it took to build! It's a beaut! You Lady's are truly amazing..

Anonymous said...

We were so impressed with your float in the HUGE Freedom Festival Parade. Way to go!!!

Karen said...

That's a cool float. Just wondering if you actually wrote out the entire Declaration of Independence?
(Kristen's sis)